Website University of Southern California
The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown L.A. and is a world-class research university. Founded in 2012, the USC Glorya Kaufman School of Dance (USC Kaufman) is the first new school at USC in close to 40 years. USC Kaufman has quickly emerged as an epicenter of excellence in the interdisciplinary study of dance creation and dance performance. Featuring a rigorous curriculum within a conservatory style environment, USC Kaufman is housed in the 54,000-square-foot Glorya Kaufman International Dance Center, where students work and collaborate with world-renowned artists and study in a range of dance styles.
The hallmark of USC Kaufman – as expressed in our motto “The New Movement” — is the development of new movement models for dance, where intersecting dance techniques create hybrid forms to be expressed in new media, scholarship, studio practice, and choreography. The school’s exceptional students and faculty are creating a confluence of ideas, artistry, and innovation that will prepare the next generation of dancers to shape the future of the art form in compelling ways. Apply to join our New Movement and visit the School’s website at kaufman.usc.edu for more information.
The University of Southern California is seeking applicants for the position of Head of Communications for the USC Glorya Kaufman School of Dance. Reporting directly to the Dean, the Head of Communications will engage with all divisions of USC Kaufman in the successful articulation of the School’s brand and messaging across all media platforms. The ideal candidate has experience working in all facets of marketing, media relations, journalism and project management, possesses keen time management skills, is creative and well-organized, and has knowledge and/or experience working in the field of professional dance and/or dance within higher education.
• Provide strategic direction for Dean and Assistant Dean on all matters pertaining to communications for USC Kaufman.
• Manages day-to-day marketing operations and supervises staff and student workers, as assigned.
• Devise and oversee media relations programs, marketing and communications campaigns that advance the school’s strategic priorities, such as direct mail, telemarketing, advertising, publicity, community relations, promotional activities, special events, etc.
• Develops, produces and distributes publications and other promotional materials for department marketing and public relations purposes. Strategizes and facilitates design, production and distribution of publications and other promotional materials including ads, brochures, marketing collateral, e-newsletters, news, feature stories and videos.
• Maintain and enhance the design and content of the school’s website, and assist in the evaluation and implementation of new and emerging web technologies.
• Curate and manage the school’s content on its video and social media pages.
• Determine and administer the appropriate use and storage of brand assets including images, logos, emblems, etc.
• Devise and implement periodic market research, analyze and share results and make recommendation accordingly.
• Respond to internal inquiries, requests and concerns relating to the school’s communications presence professionals and vendors such as artists, designers, photographers, mailing houses, postal service, list brokers, advertising representatives, media contacts, etc.
• Facilitate relationships and lead communications efforts with internal and external partners and professionals in field.
• Create and manage communications budget and ensure fiscal controls in this area.
• Administer communications calendar and timely completion of related projects and activities.
• Participates in development of marketing and sales goals, objectives, plans and strategies. Assists in determining target markets.
• Represent USC Kaufman at USC Communications meetings
• Work collaboratively with USC Kaufman faculty and staff in other areas such as admissions and advancement to strategize and devise content, materials and consistent messaging.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Related Undergraduate Study. Bachelor’s degree in, communications, marketing, English, journalism or related field. Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education.
Thorough knowledge of marketing and business management. Knowledge of the principles, practices, concepts and methodology of marketing.
Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Masters degree in communications, marketing, public relations
Experience managing and implementing a multi-platform communications effort.
Experience working within professional dance field and within a university setting.
Knowledge of various dance styles/technique, dance history and terminology and dance artists currently touring and working in the field.
To apply for this job please visit usccareers.usc.edu.