Website Utah Symphony | Utah Opera
The Director of Individual Giving is an integral member of the USUO nine-member Development team. They are primarily responsible for sustaining and growing relationships with individual donors to raise support for USUO’s mission. The Director works with the VP of Development, the Board of Trustees and Senior Management to plan and execute the cultivation, stewardship and personal solicitation of individual donors and prospects to achieve and grow an individual giving goal of approximately $1,000,000.
Reports to: VP of Development
Supervises: Individual Giving Manager
Essential Responsibilities Include:
- Develop, maintain and grow a portfolio of approximately 200 individual donors up to $10,000.
- Develop and execute strategies to identify, research, cultivate and solicit qualified prospects.
- Establish and maintain relationships with individual donors and prospects, through personal visits and other forms of direct personal contact in accordance with performance targets.
- Manage ongoing donor relationships through regular contact, personal visits, communication and follow up.
- Arrange meetings with donors and prospects for cultivation, stewardship and solicitation.
- Develop and manage a prospect pool using the database and research tools to identify and cultivate new leads, and design and implement strategies to attract new donors, support major gift efforts, and to build a robust donor pipeline.
- Work with Marketing/Communications department in the design of fundraising and promotional materials (i.e. website, newsletter, newspaper ads, directories, social media, letters, and brochures).
- Work closely with the Individual Giving Manager to oversee all aspects of the Annual Fund, including design, content, timeline, segments, social media, telefunding, direct mail, and other grass roots efforts.
- Track and report solicitation and fundraising progress.
- Analyze results of programs and efforts to make informed goals, plans and adjustments to best utilize resources and improve subsequent efforts.
- Maintain database records and e-files with all donor transactions and related development material.
- Serve as the liaison with Giving Societies including but not limited to Abravanel and Peterson Societies, and Young Professional groups.
- Write proposals and create supplementary materials as necessary.
- Oversee strategy for special initiatives such as Healthcare Night, Giving Days, and other donor events to achieve maximum success.
- Participate in networking opportunities to broaden USUO’s scope of engagement.
- Serve as a resource and support for Board of Trustees, USUO leadership, donor community and staff.
- Staff and represent USUO at concerts, programs and events, and serve as an ambassador for USUO.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills / Abilities:
- An affinity for and commitment to the mission of USUO and the importance of the arts in society.
- Excellent verbal, written communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of team.
- Personal commitment to Diversity, Equity, Access, & Inclusion in the field of Philanthropy.
- Experience with Tessitura a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Teams.
- Availability to work and attend evening and weekend events and performances as needed.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Business, related field, or relevant combination of education and experience.
- Three or more years fund-raising experience, including direct solicitation of contributions, volunteer leadership support, written and verbal presentations, or equivalent experience.
- Sit for long periods of time and stand occasionally.
- Ability to twist, bend, reach, and lift up to 20 pounds.
- Neither of the Physical Requirements will be used to disqualify otherwise qualified applicants.
Please apply online. Application materials include a resume, cover letter, and references. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
To apply for this job please visit usuo.org.