Website Victory Gardens Theater
Your World On Stage
Job Title: Director of Marketing and Communications
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Audience Services Manager, Front of House Manager, Marketing Assistant, Graphic Designer
Employer: Victory Gardens Theater
Posting Date: April 13, 2022
About Victory Gardens: Victory Gardens Theater is dedicated to artistic excellence while creating a vital, contemporary American Theater that is accessible and relevant to all people through quality productions of challenging new plays and musicals.
Victory Gardens is a leader in developing and producing new theatre work and cultivating an inclusive theater community. The theater’s core strengths are nurturing and producing dynamic and inspiring new plays, reflecting the diversity of our city’s and nation’s culture through engaging diverse communities, and in partnership with Chicago Public Schools, bringing art and culture to our city’s active student population.
Victory Gardens Theater provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Victory Gardens Theater complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, and layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Job Summary: The Director of Marketing and Communications reports to the Executive Director but also works closely with the Artistic Director to communicate the artistic vision and mission of the theater. This position is responsible for the theater’s external communication strategy including the theater’s branding and platforms, single ticket initiatives, subscription campaigns, press, and all customer and front of house services.
Work Hours: 10am-6pm, Monday-Friday, with some evenings/weekends required during performance runs. 40 hours per week maximum.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Oversee Marketing and Audience Services departments. Supervise and work closely with the following full-time positions: Graphic Designer, Marketing Assistant, Audience Services Manager, Front of House Manager
(2) Create and implement marketing strategy and campaigns for all Victory Gardens Theater productions, including art direction, messaging, media buys, promotional materials, and social media, in coordination with the Marketing Assistant.
(3) With the Audience Services Manager and Front of House Manager and their part-time box office staff, ensure seamless and engaging touch-points across all aspects of the theater, including group sales, audience services and communications, box office, bar, concessions and front of house materials and procedures, and event sales setup and management.
(4) Cultivate and develop sustainable partnerships that will grow an audience base that reflects the cultural diversity of Chicago with local businesses and organizations.
(5) Communications lead for the theater, developing messaging for all institutional projects and announcements, as well as managing the Theater’s email and social media calendars and website content.
(6) Work closely with the theater’s external press team to effectively generate press coverage for the theater and each production, including development of press releases.
(7) Direct the design, creation, and distribution of all print and electronic communication materials; includes supervising and managing relationships with internal Graphic Designer, external designers, photographers, videographers, and printers.
(8) Develop yearly subscription renewal and acquisition campaigns, including print and digital materials, pricing structure and package format, and audience segment management.
(9) Develop and monitor revenue projections and implement pricing strategies to maximize revenue across the season and single shows.
(10) Manage institutional branding projects as-needed.
(11) Collaborate with Education, Development, and Artistic departments to market and promote individual department programs and initiatives to meet institutional goals, including materials development, communications assistance, and event hosting duties.
(12) In coordination with the Executive Director and Finance Director, develop an expense budget and manage this budget efficiently.
(13) Oversee the Victory Gardens Theater Marketing Committee, composed of experts in the field of marketing from various industries.
Qualifications and Skills
-Previous experience in marketing, ideally in performing arts.
-Demonstrated record of accomplishments in effective marketing strategies and excellent strategic planning and organizational skills.
-Detail-oriented and able to create schedules for and manage numerous important projects concurrently; able to effectively motivate staff to meet strict deadlines.
-Experience working within multicultural and multi-ethnic environments.
-Experience incorporating the ideals of inclusion, diversity, equity, anti-racism and accessibility into marketing and communications strategies.
-Analytical skills and ability to develop sales reports and projections.
-Experience with a customer relationship management system (CRM).
-Creative problem-solving skills.
-Excellent verbal and written skills.
-Proven organizational and project management skills.
-Experience with art direction and photo/video concepting and shoot execution.
-Strong networking and relationship-building skills. Negotiation skills a plus.
-Comfort and ability to thrive in a public-facing position.
-Computer literacy: Microsoft Office and Google Drive.
-Effective team leader and manager.
-Interest in and knowledge of theatre/performing arts.
-Knowledge of Spektrix, DotDigital, WordPress, and TRGArts a plus.
Compensation: This role is full-time (40 hours a week) exempt salaried. Pay is $52-$58K based on the candidate’s qualifications. Includes access to Victory Gardens Health, Vision, Dental, and Life Insurance Plans, and paid vacation and sick leave.
To Apply: Candidates should send a letter of interest and a resume to HR2@victorygardens.org with subject line “Director of Marketing and Communications”
To apply for this job email your details to HR2@victorygardens.org