Position: Director of Education and Community Engagement
Department: Orchestra Activities
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
The Director of Education and Community Engagement will play a key role in delivering on our mission
to connect everyone in Hampton Roads through the transformative power of exceptional music while
providing civic value to our diverse community well beyond residents who attend concerts.
The Director is responsible for developing, administering and evaluating all VSO Education and
Community Engagement (ECE) activities and serving as primary contact with those served. Programs
include Young People’s Concerts, small ensemble performances, instrumental instruction and school
residencies, as well as programs that seek to connect and uplift our community, such as collective action
partnerships in health/wellness and social justice initiatives.
• As team leader, plan and develop the annual Young People’s Concerts. Coordinate and schedule
reservations with area school districts, private schools and homeschoolers. Develop and distribute
related materials for classroom use.
• Identify opportunities for deepened audience engagement and partnerships that add community
elements to series concerts, not limited to but including the #VSOatRoper series.
• Develop and maintain relationships with local student performing organizations, public school music
curriculum supervisors and local music educators from pre-school through collegiate level to identify
needs and effectively develop, administer, and modify the VSO’s Education programs to meet those
• Work with community partners to accomplish ambitious mutual goals for the benefit of our
community, and develop and administer Community Engagement programs which fully utilize our
musicians’ diverse talents.
• Develop annual operating plans with clear action items, ownership and timelines.
• Develop revenue and expense budgets for each Educational and Community Engagement program,
monitor progress of each and adjust as necessary. Set revenue goals and creatively seek opportunities
to meet those goals.
• Work closely with the Development Department to ensure that ECE funding needs are met.
• Work with Marketing/PR Department to promote activities and communicate with outside
stakeholders the importance of ECE programs.
• Schedule related musician services using OPAS software, assign musicians, and communicate all
logistics, context, and goals to those assigned. Utilize musician services under the Community
Engagement Program section of the musician’s Collective Bargaining Agreement to accomplish
institutional goals efficiently and effectively.
• Design measurement tools and collect and track participant feedback in order to assess impact
and effectiveness of all programs.
• Serve as primary contact and onsite supervisor for events, including some evenings and weekends.
Maintain office hours to facilitate collaboration with other staff.
• Recruit and supervise volunteers to help staff education and community engagement activities.
• Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Background Sought:
• Bachelor’s degree or greater in music performance, education or arts management required.
• Minimum three years of progressive experience in a directly related field.
• Working knowledge of orchestral repertoire.
• Passion for education and community engagement.
• Highly strategic and creative thinker with a track record of developing and executing coordinated,
• Experience in creating and tracking budgets.
• Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with internal and external stakeholders to advance
strategic objectives. Positive customer service attitude.
• Familiarity with the Virginia Standards of Learning.
• Highly effective written and verbal skills.
• Experience in training teachers or performers preferred.
• Computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel. OPAS experience a plus.
To apply, send cover letter, salary expectation, and resume to:
Subject: Director of Education & Community Engagement Search
Attn: Dr. Christy Havens, Virginia Symphony Orchestra