WINNSBORO CENTER FOR THE ARTS
Position Open: Executive Director
Winnsboro Center for the Arts (WCA) seeks an energetic individual with an entrepreneurial spirit to work closely with the Board of Directors in growing the organization into a regional arts center with outreach and residency programs in both arts education and performance.
The Executive Director will be responsible for the overall operations and activities of the organization and for ensuring that all activities take place in a safe and nurturing environment. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors. Training and/or experience in arts administration is highly desirable.
The Executive Director is the only full-time staff member and is responsible for day-to-day activities at the center. From an administrative standpoint, the Executive Director serves as the “face of the organization” and is responsible for communication with staff, board and committee members, the executive committee, volunteers and third parties interacting with the WCA.
The presence of the Executive Director is encouraged at WCA activities outside of normal working hours such as concerts, theater productions and artist receptions to promote good relations with members and with the general public.
Part-time staff reporting to the Executive Director include an Office Manager and a Finance Manager. In addition, the many volunteers will rely on the Executive Director for guidance and direction.
Management and Operations
• Oversee the planning, scheduling, management and evaluation of a diverse array of programming activities which serve to fulfill the Center’s mission.
• Hire, train, mentor, evaluate and create accountability measures for staff and volunteers while actively addressing their concerns in creating a safe and productive work environment.
• Establish sound financial management and administrative policies and work closely with the Finance Manager to maintain accurate financial records and monthly reports for board review. Recommend any needed revisions to the budget to the board for review and approval.
• Oversee development of business processes and customer service initiatives to support the level of operation of the Center.
• Develop and oversee a strong marketing program to promote WCA activities.
• Oversee maintenance of equipment and facilities.
• Ensure that all activities at the WCA are consistent with the Center’s mission and values and meet contractual agreements as well as legal and ethical obligations.
• Create and actively promote a comfortable and welcoming environment where every stakeholder is treated with dignity and respect in a friendly and personal manner.
Development and Strategic Planning
• With the board, set the vision for the WCA as a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to a comprehensive performance and educational arts program and oversee operational implementation.
• Work with the board to identify and cultivate corporate sponsorship opportunities, foundation and government grants, and special campaigns to sustain The Center’s investment as a thriving arts community.
• Initiate, develop, and ensure strong collaborative and effective relations with the Center’s resident partners and other arts organizations to support joint programming and success.
• Engage with board and staff members, resident partners, and other arts and community stakeholders to better understand community needs and interests, obtain feedback, and set the direction for the Center.
• Affirm the Center’s role in a vital regional arts community and develop relationships which enhance the goals of that larger community.
Applications and inquiries
Please submit a cover letter and resume (electronic submissions preferred) to the attention of
Human Resources, Board of Directors
Winnsboro Center for the Arts
200 Market St., PO Box 342
Winnsboro, TX 75494
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Winnsboro Center for the Arts - Winnsboro, Texas
Winnsboro Center for the Arts is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization which was founded in 2001 in recognition of a general lack of cultural opportunities in the region, especially for children and seniors. Its activities were largely responsible for Winnsboro’s designation as a Cultural Arts District in 2009. Renovation of its building in 2014 led to the establishment of the Bowery Stage Listening Room which put Winnsboro on the map as a destination for internationally-acclaimed singer/songwriters such as Judy Collins, Peter Yarrow, Michael Martin Murphey and Ellis Paul. The WCA has experienced steady growth in recent years expanding from a budget of less than $50K in 2014 to almost $200K in 2020. Plans are underway to expand its facilities to meet increasing demand for more programming. A Texas Commission on the Arts’ grant provides partial support for that expansion. Additionally, the WCA has received National Endowment for the Arts support for a summer theater program and for operational support through the Cares Act.
Winnsboro Center for the Arts stands out as a multi-disciplinary arts center in rural East Texas. Prior to the pandemic, it had a full calendar with concerts, theater productions, art exhibits, classes and workshops, as well as three festivals: Art & Wine, Festival of Books and a Cowboy Poetry and Music Gathering. The WCA has re-opened cautiously and continues to seek innovative ways of keeping the arts accessible to the community. Please visit our website for more information. https://winnsborocenterforthearts.com
Winnsboro is a vibrant community in the Piney Woods of East Texas with a population of 3434. In addition to being a Texas Cultural Arts District, it is also a Main Street Community serving as a hub for shopping, dining, and cultural activities for the surrounding communities of part- and full-time residents on nearby lakes. Tourists flock to Winnsboro for various activities such as its Autumn Trails Festival in October, its Art & Wine Festival in November, and its series of concerts on the Bowery Stage.
The WCA’s Vision Statement emphasizes the importance of its relationship with the city of Winnsboro: To integrate the arts into community life. We believe that participating in the arts promotes creativity, entrepreneurship, and spiritual well-being which are essential for community and economic vitality. Our long-term goal is to insure a stable infrastructure and financial security for the organization. As the “heart of the arts” in Winnsboro, we will continue to work with the city and associated organizations to develop Winnsboro as a desirable destination for residents and visitors alike.