Website Writers Theatre
Position: Audience Services Associate
Location: Glencoe, IL
Department: Audience Services
Salary: $15.80/ hour
About Writers Theatre
Writers Theatre (WT) is a nationally-recognized, award-winning theatre company located on the North Shore of Chicago with a pre-pandemic annual operating budget of $6.5 Million. Known for the consistent high quality and intimacy of its productions, WT is focused on the power of the written word and dedicated to the artists who bring that word to life. Having captivated audiences for years with its commitment to creating the most intimate theatrical experience possible, the theatre is now a major Chicagoland cultural destination with a national reputation for excellence, being called “America’s finest regional theater company” by The Wall Street Journal. Under the leadership of Executive Director Kathryn M. Lipuma and Artistic Director Braden Abraham, the company is charting a path forward for its future.
Writers Theatre seeks an Audience Services Associate to coordinate front of house operations during performances and special events, including third party rentals at Writers Theatre. This role will collaborate with the Box Office and Stage Management staff to maintain smooth front-facing operations and provide industry-leading customer service, with the ultimate goal of maximizing the customer experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Serve as House Manager for public performances and special events.
• Coordinate with box office staff on seating holds and patron information.
• Assist patrons with questions, accessibility needs and/or seating issues.
• Train and manage volunteer ushers on a nightly basis.
• Communicate with stage management staff on nightly operations schedule (house opening, start of performance, late seating).
• If the production allows, late seat patrons after the performance begins.
• Monitor activity during performances.
• Communicate and assist with security and emergency incidents.
• Prepare House Manager and Concessions performance reports
• Operate WT Digital Signage during performances and special events, as needed.
• Maintain cleanliness of Front of House areas including lobby, restrooms, concession center, and other public spaces.
• Assist with other duties, as assigned.
• Provide Bar/Concessions service for public performances and special events.
• Set up and tear down bar, including displays, concessions, and drink preparation.
• Assist patrons with concessions and drink selections, providing descriptions and suggestions
• Process payments through Square POS system.
• Track concessions inventory and communicate restocking needs.
• Prepare and reconcile concessions sales reports.
• Ensure displays and lobby areas are clean and accessible.
• Other duties, as assigned.
• Top level customer service experience required.
• Experience in theatrical operations preferred.
• Bartending or foodservice experience a plus.
• Outgoing, accessible personality with the ability to speak in front of people.
• Superior organizational and time-management skills, with the ability to multi-task.
• Professional demeanor while working under pressure.
• Experience with POS systems a plus.
• Strong interest in and passion for live theatre.
• Must be 21 years of age or older.
• BASSET and Food Handlers’ certifications preferred; training will be provided to selected candidate.
• Afternoon, evening and weekend availability is required.
• Must be able to comply with organizational COVID safety policies and procedures
• A commitment to ethical conduct in all aspects of the work environment
• A commitment to creating a just, equitable and inclusive work environment
• A commitment to the protection of confidential information to which this position has access
• Must be able to communicate with internal and external stakeholders both in-person and in a written format
• Must be able to both sit and stand for extended periods of time as well as move about the theatre building, including the use of stairs
• Must be able to occasionally crouch, climb, and reach
• Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds
WT requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a term of employment.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
WT is deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as promoting a safe, supportive, and collaborative work environment conducive to professional and personal growth. A successful candidate will share these values.
WT is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, or veteran status.
Please find more information on our culture and specific policies at the following links:
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include in the subject line of the email “Audience Services Associate Application”. No phone calls please.
Want to help us improve our hiring process? Please include where you found this job posting when you email us your materials.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org