Communications and Public Relations (35%)
• Create a strategic communications plan in coordination with Executive Director and senior staff
• Write, edit, format and distribute content for digital and print including Youth Symphony eNews, website, program and concert descriptions, and other external communications
• Manage internal and external aspects for annual communications calendar and the production of collateral materials, including coordination of content with staff and production elements with vendors (designer, printer, mailhouse, etc.)
• Write, distribute and pitch media advisories and press releases; develop and maintain relationships with members of the media
• Manage YSKC photography archive and needs
• Create and distribute media kits and materials
• With approval of Executive Director, appropriate marketing budget for media buys and advertising placements; manage contracts and negotiations with media and publication representatives
• Seek out area concert/event calendars and other outlets to promote YSKC concerts,
programs and special events
• Oversee design, production and distribution of posters, postcards and other materials that promote YSKC concerts, auditions and other special events; personally design some materials in-house as needed (e.g. concert flyers, invitations)
• Manage and oversee ticketing aspects for concerts and special events
Social and Digital Media (25%)
• Create and manage digital media schedule and plan; keep abreast of trends and best practices in
order to guide organizational strategy
• Generate, edit and curate content including, but not limited to, photos, copy, videos, audio and other elements for YSKC website, social media platforms and other digital channels
• Manage and monitor activity and presence of YSKC on social media platforms
• Adhere to and enforce the YSKC Social Media Guidelines
• Perform other duties as assigned
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Youth Symphony of Kansas City
Youth Symphony of Kansas City is a vibrant music education organization that provides enhanced orchestral experiences and builds the present and future classical music community. Through its four full orchestras and string programs, 450 students participate in the 2017-18 season, bringing live symphonic music to more than 15,000 annually in free concerts throughout the Kansas City Metropolitan Area. The organization celebrates its 60th Anniversary Season in 2018-2019.
Students audition annually to participate in the program. In the most recent audition cycle, more than 700 musicians auditioned. Students perform concerts for community-wide audiences in cherished venues such as Helzberg Hall at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, the Folly Theater, Yardley Hall, the Gem Theater and others throughout the area. In April 2015, the organization relocated its administrative offices to the bustling Crossroads Arts District. In June 2018, 100 musicians participated in the Youth Symphony’s Austria Tour – its second international tour in three years.
At a time when some smaller arts organizations have struggled, Youth Symphony of Kansas City is thriving with steadily increasing interest in its programming, a commitment to engaging in new collaborations and a history of quality educational experiences and fiscal responsibility.